Chief Marketing Officer Programme: A New Perspective of Marketing (Modular)
Start Date:?Afternoon, July 3, 2021
Note: Due to the epidemic, the actual starting time for the courses shall be subject to the notice from the class coordinator.
This programme is specially designed for the top decision makers who are responsible for marketing. At least eight years of management in marketing and basic marketing knowledge are required. The typical participants include Chief Marketing Officer, vice president of marketing, marketing director and head of marketing function.
In China, technological advancement has led to a new round of upgrade in consumption patterns. Chief Marketing Officers (CMO) are facing challenges in brand new operations and communications models. In the era of big data, they need to figure out how to identify consumer needs, break the growth bottleneck through business innovation, and apply the latest research findings in the fields of behavioral economics and psychology to marketing so as to rethink consumer needs and patterns of behavior. How will they leverage Internet technologies to create new marketing models, from digital marketing to mobile commerce and from online sales to social media marketing? For any company, CMOs play a role in not only mounting a marketing campaign, but also influencing the strategies for product development, supply chain management, commodity pricing, and customer services…. Only the CMOs, who can sweep away all obstacles in an ever-changing business environment, will be able to build their companies into outstanding marketing enterprises with core competence.
- Module 1: New Ideas on Marketing: “Unconventional” Marketing
- Module 2:?Game Theory
- Module 3: Digital Marketing: Theory and Practice
- Module 4: Pricing Strategy
- Module 5: Logical Creative Thinking
- Module 6: Customer Insight Strategy
- Module 7:?Business Simulation
A certificate of completion will be awarded.
Gain membership in the CEIBS Alumni Association.?Learn More
Programme Fee includes tuition, case licensing fees, lunches, stationery, other course materials, interpretation and translation fees if required. The full fee must be paid within two weeks upon receipt of the payment notice. Applications made within 30 days of the start of a programme require immediate payment. CEIBS reserves the right to amend information on this programme including price, discount, date, location, faculty, daily schedule and other details.
?Telephone: (86 21) 2890 5027
Mobile: (86) 183 2112 0694
Professor of Marketing
Baosteel Chair in Marketing
Associate Dean (Executive Education Programme)
Programme Co-Director of Global CEO Programme for China
This programme aims to share with participants the cutting-edge research findings and ideas about marketing and related areas, analyze various challenges CMOs are facing today, and help them identify market dynamics from a broader perspective, make and rectify marketing strategies, therefore creating more value for their companies.?
This programme will help participants:
- Focus not only on the latest academic research findings in marketing, but also on psychology, economics and other disciplines to develop a cross-discipline knowledge integration and upgrade
- Learn from the best practices in various industries, broaden horizons, and think in new ways
- Explore the current dilemmas and seek innovative solutions with marketing elites
- Develop a vertical extension in marketing techniques, and be aware of and enhance their own leadership
- Utilize new marketing tools and concepts to analyses customer behaviors and needs, and exploit potential marketing opportunities in order to achieve a sustainable business growth
- Learn about systematic, logical and replicable creative thinking patterns to seek new and valuable creative ideas
- Understand the pricing strategy to build a strategic pricing organization to set “perfect prices”
- Think outside the box and reexamine an organization’s positioning and strategy formulation
- Dispel some traditional myths about marketing, and make more sensible decisions about marketing
- Have membership in the CEIBS alumni association
Module 1: New Ideas on Marketing: “Unconventional” Marketing?
Experience is a two-edged sword. Although we can learn from past success, it will also hinder our thinking and progress, when it becomes a stereotype. This module will challenge the participants’ conventional wisdom and introduce some unconventional marketing approaches to broaden their perspectives in marketing through a couple of cases studies. It deals with the following questions:
- In terms of positioning, the conventional wisdom tells us to look for it within one category, but can we consider a “disruptive” positioning?
- In terms of branding, the conventional wisdom tells us to keep consistency and sustainability, but can we consider a “popular brand marketing strategy” for those short-life-cycle products or services?
Module 2：Game Theory?
The business world is like a battlefield. Is there nothing but cut-throat competition between companies? Does a company really have to build its success on the failure of its competitors? Absolutely not! As a company’s strategy will determine the actions of its competitors, any strategy that allows the company to benefit itself at the expense of its competitors is likely to trigger a fierce counterattack, making all its efforts end in vain. As a result, nobody wins out, only to find themselves in a prisoner’s dilemma. The inter-firm?dynamics entails?both cooperation?and?competition. How to solve problems rationally by using various game theory techniques according to different scenarios? How to precisely approach your target market and act more innovatively based on a smarter strategy, and ultimately achieve a win-win result? This module will provide the participants with new perspectives and thoughts by sharing real cases in and outside China and elaborating how a game theory framework can help companies gain a panorama view of the competitive landscape and possible changes. This module will focus on:
- The introduction of game theory model
- Game theory and corporate strategy
- The dynamics of market competition
- How to play a game? Five elements of the game
- Blind game - can you move others’ cheeses?
- How to make a big profit?
- Lock-in effect and transfer cost
- How to develop the rules of game appropriately?
- How to track the industry evolution?
- Challenges of markets in transition
- Laws and regulations and terms of contract
- Game strategy: principle of throwing out a minnow to catch a whale and Chinese companies’ overseas marketing strategy
- Summary of game scope and the application of game theory in business
- 【Final defense】CEIBS CMO Star Innovative Marketing Challenge
Module 3: Digital Marketing: Theory and Practice?
The rapid evolution of Internet and mobile Internet has provided companies with access to both new marketing channels (e.g., e-commerce) and new media outlets for marketing communication, such as Internet display ads, search engines, and social media. These new media have brought enterprises not only more opportunities, but also new challenges. Companies need to figure out how to leverage these new media for digital marketing. In this module, company executives, who have made their name in digital marketing, will share with participants their practice; in addition, some professors will be invited to present their up-to-date research findings about digital marketing. This module will focus on:
- Logic behind Marketing Communication
- Internet and Marketing Communication
- Application of Display Ads and Search Ads
- Application of Social Media
- New Trends for Digital Marketing
- Building a Dominant Brand in China in the Era of Mobile Internet
- Digital Marketing and Integrated Marketing
- Evolution of Marketing Channels in the Digital Age
- ROI of Digital Marketing
Module 4: Pricing Strategy
Pricing decisions can make a bottom line difference, but many companies usually do not have a carefully crafted pricing strategy. An excellent CMO needs to think over how to draw up a good revenue strategy, avoid price war by achieving price leadership, and adopt a pricing strategy to obtain new value.
An appropriate pricing strategy must take social, economic and psychological factors into consideration. This module will look at the role of pricing decision in overall marketing strategy and assess whether it can help a company attain broad management objectives. It is intended to help participants design and implement a well-crafted pricing strategy to gain more value from customers. This module focuses on:
- Mission of pricing
- Pricing levers and principles
- “Right prices”: striking a balance between fulfilling internal objectives and meeting external demand
- Drawing up the best pricing strategy
- Three drivers for price competition
- Differentiated pricing: engaging customers to help set prices
- Price promotion
- Building a strategic pricing organization
Module 5: Logical Creative Thinking
Considering increasingly homogenized products and services in a mature market, how will companies grasp opportunities through innovation in an ever-changing business environment? Amidst tough industrial competition, how will they make an innovation in terms of products, services, advertising, business, project process, business models, and marketing rules? CMOs need to think over how to help their companies capture new commercial value in a volatile market and explore the logic underpinning business innovation.
This model, which introduces Logical Creative Thinking, aims to help participants understand systematic, logical and replicable creative thinking patterns so as to seek new and valuable creative ideas. This module focuses on:
- Creative tools to identify demand: customer-driven
- Creative tools to identify demand: introspection
- Creative tools to identify demand: being an actor
- Creative tools to identify demand: playing devil’s advocate
- Creative tools for solutions: separation
- Creative tools for solutions: substitution
- Creative tools for solutions: combination
Module 6: Customer Insight Strategy
Most marketing breakthroughs originate from a unique ‘insight’ – the identification of an unmet need in the market, or a superior capability in adopting customers’ perspective and making that the platform for marketing strategy. As customers grow more powerful and less predictable, how to help customers perceive?the product differentiation physically or psychologically? It is vital for CMOs to ensure that their strategy and marketing operations are built upon customer insight. This module will explore how to apply the latest findings in behavioral economics and psychology to marketing, how to use new marketing research tools to develop a better understanding of customers, rethink customer demand and behavior patterns and identify new customer needs, therefore creating new growth points. It will also elaborate on the significant role of big data in??identifying customer insight. It?focuses on:
- Gaining Profound Insights into Customer: Five Steps for Customer Insight
- Analysis of the decision-making unit
- Analysis of customer needs
- A multi-attribute model for customer value: layers of value
- Analysis of customers’ purchase process
- Analysis of customer experience
- Developing a Customer-Driven Positioning Strategy
- Marketing Clinic: Positioning Strategy
- Consistency and?Enhancement?of?Brand Identity
- Marketing Clinic: Brand Identity
- The Art and Science of Marketing Psychology
- Big Data and Customer Insight
Module 7: Business Simulation
CMO is not only the core leader of marketing function, but also the one who is responsible for integrating resources across the company to make every employee and every function understand customer needs so that they can take initiative to work with marketing function. This requires CMO not only to think strategically as quickly and comprehensively as CEO, but also to demonstrate outstanding communication skills and influence. This module will provide the participants with a dynamic business simulation to help them fully understand what they have learnt and effectively improve their general business management capabilities.? ??
In order to combine learning with practice, this programme also includes a brainstorming workshop on marketing in one of the nights in some modules. We will discuss the typical challenges and hot topics to seek constructive and innovative solutions.
CEIBS CMO Star Innovative Marketing Challenge
In 2020, CEIBS will launch the first CEIBS CMO Star Innovative Marketing Challenge with its CMO programme. The participants will be divided into different groups, and will focus on the real business projects of one of their group members’ company. They are expected to address the pain points of marketing management by applying what they have learnt in class. With an in-depth interpretation and analysis of the real marketing project, the participants will come up with creative solutions from multiple perspectives and work with the group member from the company concerned to formulate and implement a new marketing plan. In Module 6, the participants will go through an on-site defense session based on real data available after they have implemented the plan for about half a year. Each group project will receive professional assessment and academic reviews from the expert panel composed of CEIBS professors and senior alumni. The award-winning marketing plan will likely be presented at the 4th China Innovative Marketing Forum in September 2020.
Partly Chinese, partly English with sequential Chinese interpretation
Applications are requested at least 30 days before the programme start date. Applications are reviewed as they arrive and admissions are subject to the final confirmation of CEIBS. Any applications received after that date will be considered on the basis of space availability. For more information, please contact our Customer Service Team in Shanghai, Beijing or Shenzhen.
Any cancellation made 30 days or more prior to the programme start date is eligible for a full refund of programme fees paid. However, the expenses arising therefrom shall be for the account of the applicant or his/her employer. Any cancellation made less than 30 days prior to the programme start date shall be subject to a fee of 20 percent of the total programme fee. After the programme starts, no fees shall be refunded for participants who withdraw from the programme for any reason.
To ensure the continuity of your learning, you are required to make proper arrangements according to the course schedule after receiving your letter of enrollment. We will neither make up lessons for you nor confer you with the certificate of completion if you are absent from the course for personal reasons. CEIBS reserves the right to amend information on this programme including price, discount, date, location, faculty, daily schedule and other details.